COVID-19 Update:  The health and wellbeing of our clients, visitors, contractors and employees is of paramount importance.  We are taking steps to minimise wherever possible any impacts on our clients, our services and operations. 

Tenant Handbook

Please take the time to familiarise yourself with our Tenant Handbook. It has been designed to provide you with information about our service, your tenancy with Community Action – Housing Service and other useful information.

Your Rent

Community Action uses the Community Housing Rent Calculator to assess the amount of rent for each household. The rent calculator takes into account the income of all the people in your household. Some types of income are assessable, some are not, and a few are assessed at different percentages. Overall, rent is calculated at approx 25% of the assessable household income. CMSU tenants pay an additional 3% of their assessable income to cover furnishing costs. All Rent Assistance to which the household is entitled is also included in the rent amount. The rent amount payable for each property is capped at a certain amount. This is called the Market Rent.

What if I get a Job? If a household member enters the workforce, the rent is guaranteed to remain at the level it was on the day before the household member entered the workforce, for a minimum of six months.

What if my income goes down? Your rent will be reduced immediately when you notify us that your income has decreased.

How often is my rent increased? Rent is reviewed for each household at least once per year. There is always 2 months’ notice given before any increases.

Please speak with your friendly Housing Worker for more info about how your rent is calculated.

Repair Request Form

If you notice that your property has a maintenance issue that requires repair, please complete a Repair Request Form and forward it to our office at 22 Nash Street, Gympie. If the issue is urgent or life threatening, contact us immediately during office hours on 5482 8959. For after-hours emergency repairs, please contact the nominated trades person listed under ‘Emergency Repairs’ on your Tenancy Agreement. Please be aware that the cost of ’emergency callouts’ not considered to be an emergency by our contractor will be charged to the tenant.

Emergency Repairs

If an emergency repair is required outside office open hours, call the nominated trades person listed in your Tenancy Agreement under ‘Emergency Repairs’.  Please be aware that ’emergency call-outs’ not considered an emergency by our contractor will be charged to the tenant.  If you can’t locate your Tenancy Agreement please use these numbers:

Groves Electrical – 0408 714 602
Newk’s Plumbing – 0418 800 018
Gympie Master Locksmith – 0477 003 726

For further clarification of an Emergency Repair see the quick list below or refer to the RTA ‘Pocket Guide for Tenants‘.

Some examples are:

  • A burst hot water service
  • A blocked or broken lavatory system
  • A serious roof leak
  • A gas leak
  • A dangerous electrical fault
  • Flooding or serious flood damage
  • Serious storm, fire or impact damage
  • A failure or breakdown of gas, electricity or water supply

Notice to Leave Form

If you intend to leave our accommodation, please complete a Notice of Intention to Leave Form.

Cleaning Checklist

Our Cleaning Checklist is to be used as a guide for outgoing tenants of what must be cleaned thoroughly and/or replaced before vacating the property.

Residential Tenancies Authority

The Residential Tenancies Authority is a state government statutory body that makes a positive difference to Queensland’s residential rental sector. The RTA provides tenancy information, bond management, dispute resolution, investigation, policy and education services. To find out more information, visit the Residential Tenancies Authority website or contact them on 1300 366 311.

Tenants Queensland

Tenants Queensland is a specialist statewide community legal service for tenancy law matters and provides a free tenancy law advice service for residential tenants. Tenants Queensland seeks to represent the concerns of all Queensland tenants who live in rental accommodation, including caravan park and boarding house residents. To find out more, visit the Tenants Queensland website or contact them on 1300 744 263.

Complaints & Appeals

If you have a complaint about the service you are receiving, you feel your rights aren’t being respected or you are not happy with a decision we have made, please refer to the Housing Service Complaints & Appeals Procedure for information about how to resolve your issue.