COVID-19 Update:  The health and wellbeing of our clients, visitors, contractors and employees is of paramount importance.  We are taking steps to minimise wherever possible any impacts on our clients, our services and operations. 

Community Action Housing Service provides Community Housing assistance through the following transitional and long-term housing programs:

  • Long Term Community Housing
    The Long Term Community Housing program offers longer-term tenancies to people referred from the housing register, for the duration of their need. The rent is set at an affordable proportion of household income.
  • Community Managed Housing Studio Units
    The Community Managed Housing Studio Units program provides transitional and longer term housing assistance to eligible people who have been assessed as very high or high needs applicants. The Community Action CMSU properties are furnished and have some communal areas.
  • Community Rent Scheme
    The Community Rent Scheme is a Transitional Housing program that gives eligible people an opportunity to stabilise their circumstances before moving to longer term housing. Transitional housing is not long-term housing.
  • Same House Different Landlord
    The Same House Different Landlord program is a transitional housing program with support provided to the tenant to assist in managing the tenancy. Community Action and the tenant develop a tenancy plan to assist households to gain skills in managing a longer term tenancy. Once the tenant can manage a longer term tenancy, the tenancy and property are transferred back to the Department of Housing & Public Works. This means that the tenant becomes a public housing tenant without needing to move.

Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility for community housing is assessed according to the Social Housing Eligibility Criteria. The criteria are intended to ensure that housing is provided to those in the greatest need.

Applications for Community Housing

Community housing applicants are selected on a needs basis from the Housing Register with the Department of Housing & Public Works. For more information on the application system, read the Applying For Housing Assistance factsheet.

To apply for community housing, you must complete an Application for Housing Assistance.

Lodging your application for housing:

  • In person at the Gympie Courthouse – 38 Channon Street, Gympie Qld
  • Or, post your application to Maroochydore Housing Service Centre – PO Box 99, Maroochydore Qld 4558

To follow up on the progress of your application, call the Maroochydore Housing Service Centre on: 5352 7333

How to Appeal a Decision Regarding Your Application

If you are unhappy with a decision made by Department of Housing & Public Works in relation to your application for community housing, you may be able to appeal the decision. For further information, read the Lodging an Appeal factsheet.

Bond Loans

Community Action – Housing Service charges a rental bond equivalent to four weeks rent payable prior to commencement of your tenancy. You may be eligible for a Bond Loan from the Department of Housing & Public Works. Please read the Bond Loans Factsheet for further information regarding Bond Loans. You can apply for a Bond Loan online here.

To follow up your Bond Loan Application, phone the Bond Loan Team on: 1300 650 282

How is Community Housing Rent Assessed?

The Department of Housing & Public Works Community Housing Rent Policy outlines how much rent is payable in community housing. For information regarding how your rent is calculated, please read Your Rent In Community Housing.